Wednesday 21 December 2011

Spitalfields Music Winter Festival 2011

After a long and interesting 2 weeks, I have just finished shooting the official videos for the Spitalfields Music Winter Festival, alongside filming buddy Matt Steel. Over 8 days, we filmed some fantastic acts spawning from a Christmas market to the London Contemporary Orchestra in the Shoreditch church in London.

Matt's started an offline edit of the highlights of the festival before passing it on to me for some grading, titles and fine tuning. We've had some contact from various acts through the festival about future work which has been great too!

Start a brand new shoot tomorrow for the Market Research business, Mintel. They want a studio tour and vox pops that will appeal to graduates for next year. First day of shooting tomorrow with an estimated deadline of the first week of January!

It's been great, each job has lead to another and I've had no gaps since early November so I'm really pleased with the way things are going. It's crazy to think that 2 months ago, I was stuck in the same dead end job I've had for over 8 years and now my degree is actually being put to it's full use. I've invested in more equipment as the projects have progressed - some more batteries, a new 32GB SD card (so I can now record upto 95ish minutes on a card) so projects have become a little simpler.

I also bought a set of 3x 500w Halogen work lights. I was a little concerned as to how well they would work as they are primarily built for lighting labour work rather than video (hence the lower price) but surprisingly, they're pretty similar to the studio lights I've used in the past. The leg tripods are actually more durable than the studio counterpart and they have grills on the front to prevent any finger prints or damage to the glass which works well. The halogen tungsten bulbs are also pretty similar to the colour balance of the studio tungsten bulbs (I think there's 200-300 kelvin difference which isn't massive). We used them for the final Resident Evil Challenge trailer which was a great little experiment as can be seen below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OL_J-D1dPw

Whilst I was the DOP on the project, I brought Matt on again to do the camera work and Direct. I really like this piece, the first thing I've ever shot in Black & White before (we didn't just add it in post like a lot of recent projects tend to). We shot it at 60fps, 720p so we could play around with the smooth slow motion. With this finale being built up for over 6 years, I'm ecstatic about this final challenge! Stay tuned this January...

No comments: