Thursday 8 September 2011

Summer's Gone...

...And what a Summer's it's been! I don't know where to even start. Spain, Morocco, Ferals, Reading... I can definitely say it's been the best Summer yet.

To begin with, we finished shooting our 20 minute short, Ferals nearly 2 months ago which was probably the most fun shoot I've worked on. 30 zombies, 4 cracking actors and a crew consisting of my talented best friends. What more could you ask for in a film production?

The main shoot took place over 5 days, with pickups over the following 2 weeks. We're grabbing the remaining pickups/time lapses next week when my new Manfrotto tripod and intervalometer arrive. Why have I suddenly acquired a mass of equipment? We'll come back to that in a minute...

Ferals was a fantastic production, we shot it on the 550d again (although I really, really want a go on the 5D Mark II) and managed to blag a set of Voigtlander primes which made the shots look stunning. Matt assembled the edit over the 3 weeks. In the meantime, I left the country.

Spain is an amazing country. It's only by travelling the world that England is really put into perspective. It's such a work-driven and intense country. Spain from my experiences, was chilled out, friendly and very hot! We hit temperatures of excess of 46 centigrade in Sevilla. I travelled with two of my friends around Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia and Sevilla staying in Hostels and meeting people all around the world before jetting off to Marrakesh, Morocco for 3 nights.

Morocco is a story in itself. From the second we entered the town square, I was being offered monkeys, teapots, and orange juice. It's so crazy to see a community that tries to flog things off so forwardly in this day and age, everyone wants to be your friend. Again, living in England for so long makes you become naieve to how other cultures operate. I definitely want to go travelling next year, California and Eastern Europe maybe?

Nonetheless, back in cold old England, I returned to an assembled cut of Ferals. The piece had a lot of work, but it was nice to see all the work put together. 3 weeks later and after being a hermit, I've managed to get quite a complete cut of the film which only needs some tweaks, next to the audio mix, soundtrack, foley and grading. Hoping to have the project finished by the start of next month for a screening around Halloween as a new project has come up...

I was approached by a local media & advertising company to work on a corporate video for an electrical training company. They want a video to show potential customers the facilities they offer and what is covered over their several courses. I have my own camera and editing software packages, so why not? The media company has a large amount of clients but has never really been able to offer videos so if this project goes well (I don't mean to jinx my chances at this stage in the process) but it could be a keeper, and it pays. This is why I've ended up getting my own set of equipment - a 50mm f/1.8 Canon lens, a Manfrotto tripod and a rode videomic + dead cat should be just about enough to give me a good start.

The new lens is beautiful as well, gave it a try out this afternoon:


So yes, one project comes towards a close as a new one opens up. The neverending circle of productions for Mr. De La Nougerede... It's awesome!

No comments: