Tuesday 15 November 2011

Motivated

It's not until you become totally job less that the drive of reality forces you to get your life into gear. I finally left my part-time job at the pub that I've been working on and off for 8 years. The moment of realisation that I've been coming back to the same place throughout my education in school, college, university and now as a graduate is actually a little depressing in regards of moving on up in the world. I'm a first class graduate, still gots me a pocket fulla' dreams and I need the motivation to at least try and live them!

Hours after leaving the job, I now have a complete up to date show reel and have been in contact with several local production companies. I have already secured 2 meetings with the companies next week, so I must be doing something right! My show reel can be found here - http://vimeo.com/32073232

Most work out at the moment seems to be freelance which I'm okay with at the moment whilst I'm living at home, but with plans to move out next year, I need to sort something out soon. Still, hopefully working on different projects with different employers will increase my scope of experience and should give me some good local contacts in the industry.

The Ferals screening was a great success - we had around 70 people show up to watch the 20 minute short which I really didn't expect and all 50 copies I had on me of the film were gone in less than a minute with demand for more. It was like feeding a bunch of savages. The reception was overwhelming and it was good to see that all that hard work was really worth it in the end. I'd definitely say it's my best show reel piece to date, and there's some brilliant stuff that it's topped!

ET4U videos have mostly been complete, only have a few tweaks and one more full video to complete. The video director and company director both seem pleased with the results which is good to know, as this is the first time I've worked as a solo camera operator and sound recordist on a corporate shoot! I have to say, the audio quality from my rode videomic is impressive. The mic has only been mounted onto the camera and yet, I've hardly had to alter it in post as the quality has been great. Additionally, the 50mm lens for the 550d has really helped when shooting the interviews which we've only had a few lights around the facilities that we've been able to use. Luckily, they were actually daylight balanced - just standard tradesmen work lights. They're pretty cheap too, around £30 and they come on stands. Will be a future investment!

The videos will be online on Vimeo for the company when completed so check back soon!

No comments: